What is PMAY?
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) is an initiative of the Government of India which aims at providing affordable housing to the urban poor by the year 2022. The scheme was first launched on 1 June 2015. The interest rate for the PMAY scheme starts at 6.50% p.a. and can be availed for a tenure of up to 20 years. The last date for availing of the PMAY CLSS scheme for the LIG and EWS categories has been extended to 31 March 2022.
Features and Benefits of PMAY Scheme
- Under PMAY Scheme, the subsidy interest rate is provided at 6.50% p.a. on housing loans for the term of 20 years to all the beneficiaries.
- Differently abled and senior citizens will be given preference in the allocation of ground floors.
- Sustainable and eco-friendly technologies would be used for construction.
- The scheme covers entire urban areas in the country which includes 4041 statutory towns with the priority given to 500 Class I cities. This will be done in 3 phases.
- The credit-linked subsidy aspect of the PM Awas Yojana gets implemented in India in all statutory towns from the initial stages itself.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Beneficiaries
The beneficiaries under the PMAY scheme can be listed as follows:
|Middle Income Group I (MIG I)||Rs.6 lakh to Rs.12 lakh|
|Middle Income Group I (MIG II)||Rs.12 lakh to Rs.18 lakh|
|Lower Income Group (LIG)||Rs.3 lakh to Rs.6 lakh|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||Up to Rs.3 lakh|
In addition to these, people belonging to SC, ST, and OBC categories and women belonging to EWS and LIG income groups will also be eligible for the PMAY scheme. Identification and Selection of Beneficiaries under PMAY
- The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban scheme caters mainly to the housing requirements of the urban poor. The scheme also caters to the housing requirement of slum dwellers residing in confined areas of slums with inadequate infrastructure, poor sanitation, and drinking facilities.
- Beneficiaries of PMAY-U mainly include Middle Income Groups (MIGs), Low-income Groups (LIGs), and Economically Weaker Section (EWS).
- While the beneficiaries from the EWS category are eligible for complete assistance under the scheme, beneficiaries from LIG and LIG categories are only eligible for the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) under PMAY.
- To be recognized as a LIG or EWS beneficiary under the Scheme, the applicant is required to submit an affidavit as income proof to the authority.
Type of PMAY Scheme
There are two sub-sections of the PMAY scheme which are divided based on the area on which they focus:
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin – The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G) was previously known as the Indira Awas Yojana and was christened as PMAY-G in 2016. The scheme is aimed at the provision of affordable and accessible housing units to eligible beneficiaries in rural regions of India (excluding Chandigarh and Delhi). Under this scheme, the Government of India and the respective state governments share the cost of development of housing units in the ratio of 60:40 for plain regions and 90:10 for North-Eastern and hilly regions.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban – The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAYU), as the name suggests, is focused on the urban areas in India. At present, there are 4,331 towns and cities which are enlisted under this scheme. The scheme is set to function under three different phases:
- Phase 1: Under Phase 1, the government targeted to cover 100 cities in different states and UTs across the country from April 2015 to March 2017.
- Phase 2: Under Phase 2, the government targeted to cover 200 more cities in different states and UTs across the country from April 2017 to March 2019.
- Phase 3: Under Phase 3, the government targeted to cover the cities which have been left out in Phase 1 and Phase 2 and attain the target by the end of March 2022.
PMAY Interest Subsidy
|Particulars||Interest Subsidy||Maximum Loan for Subsidy|
|NEWS||6.50% p.a.||Rs.6 lakh|
|LIG||6.50% p.a.||Rs.6 lakh|
|MIG -1||4.00% p.a.||Rs.9 lakh|
|MIG-2||3.00% p.a.||Rs.12 lakh|
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Subsidy Calculator
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana scheme aims to simplify the process of purchasing a home for the urban poor and weaker sections of society through EMIs at reasonable rates of interest. The rate of interest is comparatively much lesser than commercial rates, thus offering people subsidized loans.
To calculate the EMI log on to the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana website and fill in the following details: http://pmaymis.gov.in/EMI_Calculator.aspx
- The total loan amount in rupees
- The rate of interest
- The total loan period in months
Once the following details are submitted, click on the ‘Calculate’ option. This will give you the monthly installment or EMI payable in rupees.
Find: Home Loan EMI CalculatorHow to Get PMAY Interest Subsidy?
- Apply for a home loan from any listed lending institution asking for a subsidy.
- The lending institution will review your application and you are eligible, your application will be sent to the Central Nodal Agency.
- Upon verification, if your application is approved and no discrepancies are found, the Central Nodal Agency will disburse the subsidy amount to the lending institution.
- This amount will be credited to your account by the lending institution which will lower your total loan amount.
- You can continue paying the EMIs towards the balance loan amount.
The bank from where the individual is taking the loan will claim the subsidy benefit for the eligible applicants from the National Housing Bank (NHB). The National Housing Bank will then check to investigate whether anyone is making multiple applications under the scheme. Once confirmed, the CLSS or subsidy amount will be given to the borrower’s Bank. Once the amount is received, the money would be credited directly to the Loan Account.
PMAY Loan Eligibility
The government will use The Socio-Economic and Caste Census of 2011 (SECC 2011) to identify and select the list of PMAY beneficiaries. The village panchayats along with tehsils will be considered for consultation of beneficiaries before making the list under the rural housing scheme. This is going to be done to ensure transparency of the project and also make sure that only the deserving receive the aid in housing.
How to Apply for the PM Awas Yojana Online?
You can apply for the PM Awas Yojana (PMAY) through the official PMAY portal. The process of application is very easy and user-friendly. All you would need to get started is your Aadhaar number. After that, you can just follow the on-screen directions and fill up and submit the form to conclude the application.
How to check PMAY Application Status?
To check the status of your PMAY application, you can simply log in to the official portal of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana at https://pmaymis.gov.in. After that, you can just navigate to the tracking option and follow the on-screen directions to check the status of your application. How to Edit Your Details After Submitting Application for PMAY
- Visit the official website of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Enter your application reference number and your Aadhaar details
- Click on the “Edit” option
- You will now be allowed to edit your application details
The PMAY scheme will be executed in three phases. Refer to the below tables for more details:
|Stage||Phase 1||Phase 2||Phase 3|
|Cities covered||100||200||Remaining cities|
PMAY Functions of Technology Sub-Mission
PM Awas Yojana Technology Sub Mission will cover the following:
- Better Habitat Designing & Planning of the Buildings
- Planning to Develop Environment-Friendly Houses
- Best Construction Practices
- Arranging the Most Innovative Technologies
- Picking the Most Suitable Materials
PMAY Customer Care Helpline Numbers
In case of any queries relating to the application process, interest rates, and any other scheme related queries, customers can contact the toll-free helpline number:
- 1800-11-6163 (Urban, HUDCO)
- 1800-11-3388 (Urban, NHB)
- 1800-11-3377 (Urban, NHB)
- 1800-11-6446 (Gramin)
Those facing any issues related to the application process can contact the above toll-free numbers according to the locations.
List of State Level Nodal Agencies for PMAY (U)
|State/UT||Organization Name||Address and Email|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Municipal Council, Port Blair – 744101|
|Andhra Pradesh||Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limited||Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limited, Himayat Nagar, Hyderabad – 500029|
|Andhra Pradesh||Andhra Pradesh Township Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited||Flat number 502, Vijaya Lakshmi Residency, Gunadala, Vijayawada – 520004|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Government of Arunachal Pradesh||Department of Urban Development and Housing, Mob-II, Itanagar|
|Assam||Government of Assam||Block A, Room no. 219, Assam Secretariat, Dispur, Guwahati – 781006|
|Bihar||Government of Bihar||Urban Development and Housing Department, Vikas Bhawan, Bailey Road, New Secretariat, Patna, Bihar – 15|
|Chandigarh||Chandigarh Housing Board||Sector 9-D, Chandigarh – 160017|
|Chhattisgarh||Government of Chhattisgarh||Mahanadi Bhawan Mantralaya, Room No. S-1/4, Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diu||Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diu||Secretariat, Silvassa – 396220|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Secretariat, Silvassa – 396220|
|Goa||Government of Goa||GSUDA, 6th Floor, Shram Shakti Bhavan, Patto – Panaji|
|Gujarat||Government of Gujarat||Affordable Housing Mission, New Sachivalaya, Block No. 14/7, 7th floor, Gandhinagar – 382010|
|Haryana||State Urban Development Agency||Bays-11-14, Palika Bhawan, Sector-4, Panchkula, Haryana – 134112|
|Himachal Pradesh||Directorate of Urban Development||Palika Bhawan, Talland, Shimla|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu and Kashmir Housing Board||Email: Jkhousingboard@yahoo.com,|
|Jharkhand||Urban Development Department||3rd floor, Room No: 326, FFP Building, Dhurwa, Ranchi, Jharkhand – 834004|
|Kerala||State Poverty Eradication Mission||TRIDA Building, Jn. Medical College, PO Thiruvananthapuram|
|Madhya Pradesh||Urban Administration and Development, GMP||Palika Bhawan, Shivaji Nagar, Bhopal – 462016|
|Maharashtra||Government of Maharashtra||Griha Nirman Bhawan, 4th Floor, Kalanagar, Bandra (East), Mumbai – 400051|
|Manipur||Government of Manipur||Town Planning Department, Government of Manipur, Directorate Complex, North AOC, Imphal – 795001|
|Meghalaya||Government of Meghalaya||Town Planning Department, Government of Manipur, Directorate Complex, North AOC, Imphal – 795001|
|Mizoram||Urban Development & Poverty Alleviation, Government of Mizoram||Directorate of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation, Thakthing Tlang, Aizawl, Mizoram – 796005|
|Nagaland||Government of Nagaland||Municipal Affairs cell, A.G. Colony, Kohima – 797001|
|Odisha||Housing and Urban Development (H&UD) Department||1st Floor, State Secretariat, Annex – B, Bhubaneswar – 751001|
|Puducherry||Government of Puducherry||Town & Country Planning Deptt. Jawahar Nagar Boomianpet Puducherry – 605005|
|Punjab||Punjab Urban Development Authority||PUDA Bhawan, Sector 62, SAS Nagar, Mohali, Punjab|
|Rajasthan||Rajasthan Urban Drinking Water, Sewerage & Infrastructure Corporation Ltd (RUDSICO)||4-SA-24, Jawahar Nagar, Jaipur, Rajasthan|
|Sikkim||Government of Sikkim||Department of Urban Development and Housing, Government of Sikkim, NH 31A, Gangtok – 737102|
|Tamil Nadu||Government of Tamil Nadu||Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board, No.5 Kamarajar Salai, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600005|
|Telangana||Government of Telangana||Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration, 3rd Floor, AC Guards Public Health, Lakdikapool, Hyderabad|
|Tripura||Government of Tripura||Directorate Of Urban Development, Government of Tripura, Pandit Nehru Complex, Gorkha Basti, 3rd Floor, Khadya Bhawan, Agartala – 799006|
|Uttarakhand||Directorate of Urban Development||State Urban Development Authority 85A, Motharawala Road, Ajabpur Kalan, Dehradun|
|Karnataka||Government of Karnataka||9th Floor, Vishweshwaraiah Towers, Dr.Ambedkar Veedhi, Bangalore – 560001|
|West Bengal||State Urban Development Authority||ILGUS Bhavan, Block HC Block, Sector 3, Bidhannagar, Kolkata – 700106|
|Uttar Pradesh||State Urban Development Agency (SUDA)||Navchetana Kendra, 10, Ashok Marg, Lucknow – 226002|